VEGGIE & VEGAN
- 500g shortcrust pastry (Sainsbury’s Jus-Rol)
- 2 x 250g plain tofu or replace 1 pack with 1 x 220g smoked tofu (Cauldron)
- 2 onions - peeled and chopped
- 250g mushrooms - chopped
- 1 red pepper - sliced, after pith and seeds removed
- 3-4 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- Flaked dry chilli - to taste, optional
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Sunflower, sesame or pumpkin seeds
- Vegetable oil to fry
Preheat oven to 200C / 375F / gas 5
Ovenproof dish approx 25 x 30cm
- Line ovenproof dish with the pastry. Fry the onions lightly, add the mushrooms and garlic and fry for 4-5 mins. Add the red pepper, take off heat, set aside and allow to cool. Mash the two tofus with the soya sauce, purée, black pepper and chilli if using. Add this mixture to the fried vegetables.
- Spread this mixture onto the pastry, sprinkle with seeds and put into hot oven. Bake for 40-50 mins.
- Allow to cool/’set’ for a short while, say half an hour. Slice and serve with a salad and baked potatoes.