VEGGIE & VEGAN
Christmas savoury strudel
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 x 400g (14oz) cans tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 90ml (3fl oz) red wine
- 225g (8oz) button mushrooms sliced
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 275g (10oz) filo pastry
- 100g (4oz) olive oil - for brushing pastry
- 90g (3½ oz) roasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped (alternatively use pecan or pine nuts)
- Heat the 3 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, cover and cook for about 10 mins until tender but not browned. Add the garlic, tomatoes with their liquid, basil and wine. Simmer gently uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid has disappeared and mixture is quite thick - about 20 mins. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 15 mins or until all liquid has boiled away. Mixture must be quite dry. Season and allow to cool.
- When cool assemble the strudel with defrosted filo. Use filo approx 12" x 8" which can go in the average oven tray/sheet. Set oven at mark 200c/400f/Gas 6 if cooking straight away.
- Brush tray with olive oil, put the first layer of filo on the tray and brush with oil, sprinkle a third of the nuts on; lay on top another sheet of filo brushed with oil and sprinkled with nuts. Repeat a third time. Add a fourth layer of filo, brush with oil and put on tomato/mushroom mixture and spread out. Roll the whole thing up like a swiss roll.
- Bake for approx 30 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with port wine sauce and your favourite Christmas veggies.
Adapted with kind permission from Rose Elliot's 'Vegetarian Christmas'. ©1992 Rose Elliot. Published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.