VEGGIE & VEGAN
Port Wine Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 600ml (1pt) red wine
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 - 3 tbsp port
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 - 2 tsp redcurrant jelly or sugar (optional)
- 25g (1oz) margarine
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 10 mins until tender but not browned.
- Put in the red wine, bring to the boil and leave to simmer without a lid for about 10 mins until mixture has reduced by half.
- Put the cornflour into a small bowl and mix to a thin paste with the port, pour into wine mixture and stir briefly, until it has thickened slightly.
- Add salt, pepper and the redcurrant jelly or sugar to taste.
- Just before using, add the margarine to make it glossy.
Adapted with kind permission from Rose Elliot's 'Vegetarian Christmas'. ©1992 Rose Elliot. Published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.