VEGGIE & VEGAN
Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 pkt brown rice
- 1 large butternut squash - peel, cut in half lengthwise, de-seed and cube
- 200g (7oz) frozen peas
- 400g (14oz) spinach - washed
- 400g (14oz) tin tomatoes - chopped
- 2 onions - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed
- 1 veggie stock cube dissolved in 375ml (¾pt) boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seed - if unavailable use white mustard seed
- 1 tsp ground cardamom - or 5-6 roughly crushed whole pods
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 dry curry leaves - if available
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they pop.
- Add the onion, garlic, cardamom, coriander and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add butternut and tomato and cook for 8 minutes.
- Heat the stock and add along with curry leaves and garam masala. Cook on low heat until butternut is soft, approx 20-30 minutes.
- For the last few minutes add the spinach and peas and stir until spinach has wilted and peas are heated through.
- Serve with brown rice.
The golden rule for fluffy brown rice: 1 coffee mug brown rice (organic is best) to every 1+1/3 coffee mugs of cold water. Use a coffee mug approx size 250ml (9fl.oz) Each mug full of rice will make enough to serve two. Rinse the rice well. Drain rice and place, with the measured water, in a large heavy based saucepan with a well-fitted lid. Bring the rice to the boil with the lid off. Lower the heat and simmer VERY SLOWLY for 40 minutes with the lid on. All the liquid will have been absorbed and rice cooked to fluffy separate grains.