Japanese Noodles With Portobello Mushrooms & Teriyaki Glaze
- 2 x 250g/8oz packets of non-egg noodles - cook as directed on packet
- 1x 250g (8oz) packet of smoked tofu - cut into small cubes
- Bunch spring onions - chopped
- 500g (1lb) portobello mushrooms - chopped roughly
- 1 red pepper - de-seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
6 tbsp dry sherry
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
- In a large saucepan heat the water to cook the noodles. While this water is heating make the glaze by putting all the ingredients in a pan and cook over a full heated ring. Turn down heat once glaze is hot and stir constantly until thick - about 10 minutes. Take off heat and leave aside.
- Take a wok or large saucepan and put in sesame oil. Over a high heat add the mushrooms and garlic, stir all the time. When starting to sizzle and the water from the mushrooms starts to evaporate, add the red pepper and cook through, then throw in the spring onions and tofu. Allow to warm through. Turn off heat and put lid on pan to keep mixture warm while cooking the noodles.
- Cook noodles, as directed, in the already-boiling water and drain. Stir the noodles into the mushroom mixture along with the teriyaki glaze. Serve straight away.
Send this page to a friend