VEGGIE & VEGAN
Asian Summer Pudding
- 1 loaf thick-slice, soft,white bread or whole loaf cut into ½" slices.
- 250g (8oz) strawberries
- 100ml (3.5fl.oz) orange juice
- 1 largo mango - peeled and stoned
- 1 papaya - peeled and de-seeded
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tin lychees - drain and keep juice aside. If using fresh lychees, use 10-15, skinned and stoned
- 1 tsp sugar - but leave out if using tinned lychees
- Carton soya cream or soya ice cream
- Use either a pudding bowl or 4 separate ramekins.
- Blend the strawberries to a pulp (with the sugar if not using tinned lychees) by mashing or in a food processor and mix in the orange juice. Cut up rest of the fruit small and set aside.
- Remove the crust and dip slices of bread in the strawberry/orange mix and line pudding basin or ramekin with it. Scoop in the chopped fruit mix and put slice of strawberry/orange juice bread on top.
- Place a plate on pudding basin and weight down with something heavy (a full food tin or proper kitchen weight). Leave overnight in fridge so all flavours mull and basin shape will hold.
- To turn out: take off weight and plate, place the serving dish you wish to display your pudding on over the pudding basin, hold tightly and turn over. Very carefully lift off basin and hopefully, your fruit-soaked bread pudding will ease out and keep its shape.
- Slice and serve with soya cream or ice cream. Also offer lychee juice in a small jug.
The longer this made in advance the better - preferably the day before.
Alternative fruit suggestions: 3 kiwis, cut in half and scoop out flesh or 1 pomegranate, cut in half and scoop out seeds.