- 454g Vegemince (Realeat, freezer cabinet)
- 1 packet 250g Lasagne (make life easier and get a no precooking type - Buitoni is good)
For the 'meat' sauce:
- 500ml V8 bottle of vegetable juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks - sliced in half lengthwise and then roughly chopped
(or use 2-3 onions chopped)
- 250g mushrooms - roughly chopped
- 250g pack fresh spinach - rinse
- 2-4 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed
- Loads of freshly ground black pepper
- Chilli - fresh or dried
For the Béchamel/white sauce:
- 500 ml soya milk
- 1 sachet bouquet garni
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 heaped tbsp wholemeal flour
- 100g soya cheese (Redwood's melting Cheezly or sprinkling of Parmezano)
- Heat the soya milk, with the bouquet garni, to almost boil and turn off. Allow to sit and infuse while making 'meat' sauce.
- In a large pot heat 4 tbsp oil and fry leeks for 5 mins. Add mushrooms and fry for a further 3 mins. Pour in V8 and ground black pepper, add Vegemince and cook for a few mins. Stir in chilli to taste. Turn off heat.
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan, then add flour and fry for 2 mins, stirring constantly so as not to burn. Take off heat. Take out bouquet garni from soya milk and reheat milk. Add to flour mixture and stir constantly until nice thick 'custard' is made.
- In a deepish oven dish put a layer of Vegemince, then a thick layer of spinach (it will wilt down to nothing when cooked), put a layer of lasagne over this, then a layer of béchamel sauce, a further layer of vegemince, then spinach, then lasagne and finish with the béchamel. (Can do another layer if dish is deep enough).
- Cook in oven at 190c for 35 mins. Add thinly sliced soya cheese or sprinkle parmezano on top and bake a further 5 mins. Let the dish 'rest' for 5 to 10 mins before eating. Serve with a big healthy salad.
- If you can't use all the 'meat' and spinach in the lasagne dish because it is not deep enough use the left over 'meat' and spinach for a light bolognaise sauce with spaghetti the next day or as the base for a shepherds pie.
Send this page to a friend