- 1 tbsp / 15ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 oz / 175g mixed vegetables, diced (eg. celery, peppers, sweet potato)
- 8 oz / 225g tin red kidney beans
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp / 30ml chilli powder
- 10 oz / 275g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp / 15ml tomato purée
- ½ pt / 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 oz / 50g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp / 15ml chopped fresh basil/parsley (or 1½ tbsp if dried)
- 1 tbsp / 15ml shoyu, good quality soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and gently fry the onion and vegetables until softened.
- Add beans, garlic and spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato purée, stock and bulgar wheat. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the shoyu and basil.
- Check seasoning and serve.
Send this page to a friend