- 2 tbsp / 30ml vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1 pt / 600ml vegetable stock
- 6 oz / 225g red lentils, rinsed (check for small stones)
- 1 tbsp / 15ml yeast extract
- 1 tbsp / 15ml fresh parsley, chopped (or 1½ tbsp if dried)
- 1 tbsp / 15ml salt and black pepper
For the crumble
- 3 oz / 75g breadcrumbs
- 2 oz / 50g plain flour
- 2 tbsp / 30ml sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp / 30ml chopped nuts
- 3 oz / 75g vegetable margarine
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan. Gently fry the onion, garlic and remaining vegetables for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the washed lentils, vegetable stock and yeast extract. (If using dried herbs, they need to be added at this stage).
- Simmer the ingredients for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, and the lentils are cooked.
- Add the fresh herbs, if using, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the vegetable mixture into a greased oven-proof dish.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan or in a bowl in the microwave.
- Stir in the remaining crumble ingredients and mix well.
- Sprinkle over the vegetable mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Send this page to a friend