Animal-free Fruit Cake
- 1lb wholemeal self raising flour (or plain and add 5 teaspoons baking powder)
- 1lb mixed dried fruit
- ¼ lb glace cherries and/or broken nut pieces
- ¾ pint good sweet sherry
- ¼ pint sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- Mix flour, spices, dried fruit, cherries and nuts together.
- Add sherry, sunflower oil and molasses.
- Fold ingredients until well mixed.
- Line a bread or cake tin with a couple of layers of baking paper to prevent burning.
- Pour mixture into tin and bake at 150C (300F, gas mark 2) for two hours.
- Leave to get cold in the tin before turning out - overnight is quite a good idea.
Send this page to a friend