VEGGIE & VEGAN
Serves 3 to 4
Kedgeree was originally an Indian dish of rice, split pulse, onion, egg and spices. The British Empire turned it into an extremely rich rice, smoked haddock, cream and egg dish served for breakfast in grand English houses.
As with most dishes, there is a delicious and nutritious vegan version.
- 2 coffee mugs (approx 250ml sized mug) of brown rice, rinsed well
- 2 & ½ mugs cold water (use same mug as above)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 220g packets smoked tofu (Cauldron) - chopped into bite sized cubes
- 4 small / 2 large onions - peeled and chopped
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 red chilli - chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper - de-seeded and chopped
- 2 Oxo veggie cubes
- handful fresh chopped parsley
Cook the rice in a heavy pan with a tight lid with the 2&½ mugs of water. Bring rice to the boil and then turn down to lowest heat possible and cook with lid on for 40 mins. All the water will have evaporated.
Fry the onions and crushed garlic in the oil for about 5 mins, add the sweet pepper, chilli and paprika and cook for a further 5 mins or so, stirring continuously. Add the smoked tofu and black pepper, then the coconut milk and crumbled Oxo cubes. Stir until all is heated through and then add the cooked rice. Serve up with parsley on top.
Serve with a crisp green salad. Good as a party brunch dish or comforting supper dish.
For an array of fishless fishy products go to Redwoods website - www.redwoodfoods.co.uk. Their range of fish dishes go under Making Waves and include fish fingers, steaks, Thai style cakes, smoked salmon pate. tuna and scampi style pieces.