Out of hours press enquiries, call 07918 195 238.
Congratulations to Buckley Town Council!
Posted 30 September 2008
Following a presentation by Animal Aid, Buckley Town Council in North Wales has agreed in principle to adopt Animal Aid's Compassionate Charter in its entirety.
The Charter asks councils to adopt a set of eight ethical policies that - while easily achievable and simple to implement - can have a big impact on the lives of animals. The eight policies are:
- Purchasing only cruelty-free toiletries and cleaning products
- Banning circuses with animals from council land
- Banning pets as prizes
- Promoting and subsidising spaying and neutering programmes
- Stopping the sale of foie gras and veal
- Declaring themselves fur-free
- Adopting only humane, non-lethal management of pigeons and other animals and birds
- Making their town a plastic bag-free zone
Animal Aid is delighted that Buckley Town Council is well on its way towards becoming one of the leading lights in ethical local governance, and congratulates the councillors for their forward-thinking and compassionate stance.