Out of hours press enquiries, call 07918 083 774.
Easter - time to resurrect compassion
Posted 13 April 2006
It's Easter time and shops are full of greeting cards bearing images of cute, fluffy yellow chicks, while milk chocolate eggs are stacked to the ceiling. But the reality of the egg and dairy industry is not as pretty as the pictures on the cards, reveals national campaign group Animal Aid.
- Each year, 30 million day-old male chicks are gassed or shredded alive by the egg industry. They are deemed useless because they cannot lay eggs and don't put on weight quickly enough to be economically viable for meat production.
- Young calves at just a few days old are stolen away from their mothers so that the milk meant for them can be bottled up for human use.
This Easter, Animal Aid are encouraging people to drop dairy and eggs from their diet and offer the perfect support by releasing a new non-dairy and egg-free recipe booklet titled 'I can't believe it's...vegan!' It is packed full of delicious savoury dishes and dreamy desserts, including a mouth-watering trifle. In fact, this booklet offers all the information needed to go vegan, including nutritional advice and shopping tips. And it's absolutely FREE.
Says Campaigns Officer Kelly Slade:
'Eggs and dairy products are neither healthy* nor cruelty-free. By dropping them from your diet you will not only be helping to save animals from a lifetime of suffering, but you'll also feel fitter and healthier too.'
*Recent studies have indicated that those on a vegan diet experience lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other life-threatening conditions linked to overweight and obesity.
Notes to Editors
- We have a local contact in your area, available for interview on his/her vegan diet. Please contact Kelly on 01732 264546 ext. 227 or email email@example.com for their contact details.
- The recipe booklet is available to the public free of charge from the Animal Aid office. Telephone 01732 354032, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or order online from our online shop.
- Individual images from the booklet available on request to the media.
- For more information contact Kelly Slade on 01732 364546 ext. 227, ( or email email@example.com) After hours, contact Andrew Tyler on 0791 8083 774.
- We have an ISDN line for broadcast-quality interviews.