Out of hours press enquiries, call 07918 083 774.
Veggie Month March 2000
Posted 15 February 2000
BEAT THE BURGEROIDS - BEFORE THEY BEAT YOU!
Call the Veggie Helpline throughout March on 01732 354032
The Burgeroids are coming - aliens from space that want to destroy cows, human health and the environment by encouraging global addiction to burgers, burgers and more burgers. Animal Aid urges the country to fight back throughout the month of March with Veggie Month 2000, a nationwide campaign to encourage people to reject burger culture and enjoy the fruits - and vegetables - of a healthy, meat-free diet.
Burgeroids are Animal Aid's own fantasy creation, but they come with a deadly message: Burger Culture is now a worldwide phenomenon, destroying animals, damaging human health and wrecking the environment in its wake.
For Veggie Month, Animal Aid has provided hundreds of health centres, libraries and schools up and down the country with free information packs on how to go veggie. The pack includes a glossy laminated nutritional wall chart. There also will be a series of information events at burger bars where patrons will be encouraged to have a heart and save their own health and the lives of up to 2.5 million farm animals a day by quitting meat.
Said Animal Aid Director Andrew Tyler:
"This year's Veggie Month will be bigger and more spectacular than ever before. The reasons for going veggie become more obvious with each news headline outlining the dangerous impact meat eating has on human health, the environment, Third World poverty and the lives of hundreds of millions of farmed animals."
Notes to Editors
- For facts about the burger culture click here.
- Veggie Month was launched in 1990. The present number of vegetarians in the UK is fluctuating between five per cent and seven per cent. Estimates have shown up to 14 per cent of young women aged 16-25 are now vegetarian. Young women are perhaps the key social category in that it is they who will be doing most of the food shopping for the foreseeable future.
- More information on The Burgeroids and Veggie Month from Andrew Tyler, Yvonne Taylor, or Elaine Toland on 01732 364546. After hours 0421 326329.
- The Veggie Month helpline (01732 354032) runs throughout March. Calls are charged at standard rates.
- Members of the public can also send an SAE to Animal Aid for their free vegetarian information pack including a celebrity recipe booklet (or email postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- According to the Meat & Livestock Commission, vegetarian products have captured almost 12 per cent of the frozen burger market. BSE and other health scares have caused a massive decrease in the total number of frozen beef burgers sold.