Chocolate orange spongecake
- 300g white self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100ml sunflower oil (or other light vegetable oil)
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 175g brown sugar
- 180ml water
Chocolate orange icing
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 large or 2 small oranges – finely scraped zest from outer skin and juice, mix together.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Mix the water, sugar and oil in a pan and heat gently, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Leave to cool and then add the dry ingredients, folding the mixture together carefully – rather than beating it – until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into two 18cm (7inch) greased cake tins and bake for approx 30 mins.
- Leave to cool for 2-3 mins, the gently go around the edges with a blunt knife and turn out onto a wire rack. Leave to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the icing sugar and cocoa with just enough of the orange juice to make a paste to coat the cake – you will need far less liquid than you think, so add only a little at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the icing over the bottom cake, place the second cake on top and coat the entire cake with the remaining icing.