Petition to Stop a Pigeon Cull
Here are some tips to create a petition against a pigeon cull in your area:
- You can create a free petition online, for example on Change.org
- Keep the text of the petition short, to the point and easy to understand, as people don’t always have a lot of time. We have some suggested wording below.
- Be polite. People will be put off by rude or offensive petitions, even if they’re sympathetic to the goals you’re trying to achieve.
- Ask someone to spellcheck and proofread it or send it to us and we’ll help.
- Share your petition as widely as possible with friends and family and in as many online groups as you can.
- You could add a picture you have taken of pigeons in your area. If you don’t have any, there are websites which offer royalty-free pictures, such as Pixabay.
Here is some suggested wording for your petition (please amend in line with the information you have):
Title: Stop [Name of organisation]’s plans to cull Pigeons!
Please help us oppose [whose] plans to cull pigeons at [location].
Methods used to cull pigeons are cruel and can cause terrible suffering. Shooting birds can never be entirely accurate, so wounded birds may be left to die in agony. Shooting with firearms can also pose a danger to the public and other wildlife. The use of birds of prey, which are often not the natural predator species for pigeons, can also be extremely cruel, as terrified pigeons are pursued and torn apart.
As well as being cruel, killing pigeons does not work, so it is a waste of resources. If there is a good source of food in an area and the environment remains attractive, more geese will quickly move into the area to replace those who have been killed.
There are many cost-effective humane alternatives to culling pigeons, these include reducing the food available by ensuring streets are kept clean and street bins are emptied and blocking access to roof spaces and buildings.
I have emailed [who] with details of humane, non-lethal alternatives to culling. Please contact them too at [add email] and share this petition as widely as possible.
Add other details if you have them, for example, when the cull is likely to take place, if you know what methods they will be using, how many birds are likely to be targeted, do children and others enjoy watching the pigeons.