10 reasons why we need CCTV in slaughterhouses
- Because Animal Aid blew the lid on widespread lawbreaking when it investigated UK slaughterhouses
- Because thugs who punch animals in the face for fun deserve to be caught
- Because those who burn pigs with cigarettes should be jailed. (One was, thanks to Animal Aid’s hidden cameras.)
- Because people cannot be trusted not to hurt themselves
- Because some people beat animals when they’re not being watched
- Because those who license slaughterers don’t even bother to ask whether they have unspent criminal convictions for violence to people or sexual assault
- Because firearms keep being stolen from slaughterhouses – and at least one person has been murdered with a captive bolt gun
- Because shockingly bad hygiene should be discovered. (Peeing around the pigs. Not cool.)
- Because animals don’t want to die – and people who eat meat should know that
- Because if Uttar Pradesh in India can do it, why can’t we?
This calf, awaiting slaughter, was left repetitively slipping on the floor for three hours as workers walked by and did nothing. The law states: ‘No person shall cause any avoidable excitement, pain or suffering to any animal’.
Support the campaign. See how you can help