Slaughter campaign achievements
Animal Aid is the only organisation to have revealed what is truly going on inside typical UK slaughterhouses.
This is what our investigation has achieved so far:
- Two men were jailed for cruelty to animals at Cheale Meats after they beat and burned pigs.
- When the coalition government decided to drop all charges against several other slaughtermen and their bosses, we campaigned for the government department responsible (Defra) to be stripped of its prosecution function. In 2011, that goal was achieved when the CPS took over. Sadly, by then, many slaughterhouse workers had escaped justice.
- Many slaughterers have, however, had their licences permanently revoked.
- Essex slaughterhouse A&G Barber closed down when its customers saw, through our secretly-filmed footage, how bad conditions were.
- Our campaign for CCTV to be installed in slaughterhouses has been accepted by the supermarkets. The ten largest – Morrisons, Waitrose, the Co-op, Sainsbury’s, Aldi, Tesco, Lidl, Asda, Marks & Spencer and Iceland – along with wholesalers Booker, have now agreed to deal only with slaughterhouses that have independently monitored CCTV cameras installed.
- The RSPCA insists that all its approved slaughterhouses have CCTV.
- We called for the time limit for animal welfare prosecutions to be extended to allow time for justice to be done. This has now been achieved.
- Bristol University uses our footage to help train vets.
- Our investigations were featured all over the print and broadcast media, and helped to educate the public about the cruelties of slaughter. These are just a few of the national media headlines:
- ‘Secret halal slaughterhouse film reveals “horrific” animal abuse’, Daily Telegraph, 3 Feb 2015
- ‘Inside the halal house of horrors: Sickening footage shows “evil” abattoir staff “taunting sheep before hacking them to pieces”’, Daily Mail, 3 Feb 2015
- ‘CCTV Should Be Mandatory In Abattoirs’, Sky News, 19 January 2013
- ‘Animal cruelty pair jailed after being caught stubbing out cigarettes on pigs’ faces and hitting them with baton’, Daily Mail, 25 April 2012
- ‘Slaughterhouses could be forced to fit CCTV to prevent animal abuse’,The Guardian, 8 November 2011
- ‘Supermarkets force abattoirs to fit CCTV after secret film exposes abuse’, The Guardian, 3 February 2011
- ‘Exclusive: Video Shows Pig Abuse At Abattoir’, Sky News, 29 July 2011
- ‘Secret abattoir video shows “sickening” abuse of animals’, The Guardian, 8 October 2010
- ‘Think going organic lets you eat meat with a clear conscience? This shocking investigation into a “humane” slaughterhouse will make you think again’, Daily Mail, 12 January 2010
- More than 170 MPs support our campaign for CCTV in slaughterhouses, as does more than half of all Welsh Assembly Members.
- Most importantly, countless people have adopted an animal-free diet as a result of our work.