- 250g dried soya chunks (available from health food shops)
- 2 large onions – sliced
- 6 carrots – peeled and cubed (or mushrooms, aubergines or red peppers)
- 6 celery sticks – sliced
- 2x 400g tins tomatoes
- 200ml dry sherry
- 1 tbsp yeast extract
- 2-3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 2 chillies – chopped
- a dash of soya sauce
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
- Soak the soya chunks in hot water for around 30 minutes.
- In a large pan, gently saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic for about 15 minutes in the oil.
- Add the sherry and cook for a few minutes to evapourate off the alcohol.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, yeast extract, stock cube and the chillies.
- Add soya chunks and sufficient water to cover the stew.
- Simmer on a very low heat for approximately one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with rice, potatoes or crusty bread.