Mexican Tofu Fajitas
Salsa and Vegan Guacamole
- ½ mauve cabbage – finely shredded
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 red pepper – de-seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow pepper – as above
- 2 packets of ready-made flour tortillas or fajitas
- 500g firm plain tofu – cut into 1cm (½ inch) thick strips
- 8 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves – peeled and crushed
- 250ml medium sherry
- 1 tsp flaked chilli or 1 fresh chilli – chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves – chopped
- 8 medium tomatoes – chopped
- 1 red onion – finely chopped
- ½ red chilli – very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic – peeled and crushed
- Juice and zest of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 large avocados – peeled, stone removed, and mashed
- 2 tbsp plain soya yoghurt
- 1 red onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lemon – zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove – peeled and crushed
- Stir together the soy sauce, sherry, garlic, chilli and oil. Put the strips of tofu in the bottom of a grill pan (having removed the grill rack) and pour marinade over. Leave to marinate for at least one hour.
- To cook: heat the grill to high and place grill pan containing marinated tofu under the heat. Grill for approx 20-30 minutes, until all the marinade has evaporated, turning the tofu once halfway through.
- For the salsa, put the chopped onion, tomatoes, coriander and red chilli in a bowl. Add the garlic and the zest and juice of the lime or lemon. Stir and keep in the fridge until needed.
- To make the guacamole, mash the avocado, add all the other ingredients, mix well and put in serving bowl. Making it at the last minute will stop the avocado turning brown.
- Make individual wraps with the tofu strips, salad and dollops of salsa and guacamole.