Christmas savoury strudel
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions – peeled and chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves – peeled and crushed
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 90ml red wine
- 225g button mushrooms sliced
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 275g reasy-to-use vegan filo pastry (available from most supermarkets)
- 100g olive oil (for brushing pastry)
- 90g roasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped (alternatively use pecan or pine nuts)
- Heat the 3 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, cover and cook for about 10 mins until tender but not browned.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes with their liquid, basil and wine. Simmer gently uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has disappeared and mixture is quite thick – about 20 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 15 mins or until all liquid has boiled away. Mixture must be quite dry. Season and allow to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Brush tray with olive oil, put the first layer of filo on the tray and brush with oil, sprinkle a third of the nuts on; lay on top another sheet of filo brushed with oil and sprinkled with nuts. Repeat a third time.
- Add a fourth layer of filo, brush with oil and put on tomato/mushroom mixture and spread out. Roll the whole thing up like a swiss roll.
- Bake for approx 30 mins until golden brown.
- Serve with port wine sauce and your favourite Christmas veggies.
Adapted with kind permission from Rose Elliot’s ‘Vegetarian Christmas’. ©1992 Rose Elliot. Published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.