Pea and Mint Quiche (serves 4)
Ingredients – Crust
150g wholemeal flour
2 tbsp mixed seeds
75g vegan butter/spread
1.5 tsp baking powder
pinch or pink/sea salt
40ml plant milk
Method – Crust
In a large bowl mix the flour, pepper, salt, seeds and baking powder.
Now add the butter and with a large spoon mix (as much as you can) into the dry mix.
Once combined use your fingers to rub the mix together until it looks like crumbs. Pour in the milk and mix with a spoon.
Use your fingers and rub the dough together and form into a ball of pastry. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Ingredients – Filling
- 1 block or silken tofu (drained)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs black pepper
- 1 tsp black salt (important for egg flavour)
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 red onion – chopped
- 1 clove of garlic – minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- 150g peas (cooked)
- 6 chopped mint leaves
Method – Filling
- Fry the chopped onion for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic and stir in, turn off the heat.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and place on a well floured surface.
- Roll into a circle (1/2 cm thick) and place the base of the baking tin on top. Cut around the base and place the pastry into the tin.
- Using the remaining pastry form a crust around the edge. Fork the base several times (to stop it from rising) and set aside.
- To a blender add the tofu, milk, herbs, black salt, pepper, tahini, mustard, corn flour and nutritional yeast. Blend until all ingredients are combined. It should be fairly thick but easy to pour. If it is too thick add a little more milk and blend again. Leave to one side while you prep the peas.
- To a bowl of cooked cold peas add a little pink/sea salt and pepper and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Blend so it looks like mushy peas.
- Add the mint and mix. Spread the pea mix over the pastry base neatly. Make sure you have enough space for the tofu.
- Pour on the tofu and add the cooked onion and garlic. Spread evenly over the top of the peas and bake for 30-35 minutes.