Vegan Meringue & Pavlova Recipe
200ml aqua faba (chickpea water)
200g caster sugar
1 tsp cream of tarter
1 carton of vegan whipping or double cream
Fruit to decorate.
1) Drain the liquid from a can of chickpeas. Pour into a large bowl and whisk on a high setting until it becomes thick and forms peaks. This can take 15-20 minutes.
2) Gradually pour in the sugar and cream of tarter and keep whisking for a few minutes. You want a light, fluffy, glossy mix that forms peaks.
3) On parchment paper draw around a plate. Turn over paper to stop the ink touching the meringue and place on a large baking tray. The meringues get bigger so be sure to keep a good 3-4″ between the meringues.
4) Place in the oven and leave for 90 minutes. Do not open the oven to look at them during this time. After the 90 minutes are up, turn off the oven leaving the meringues inside. As the oven cools it takes any moisture out of the meringues and will keep them crisp.
5) After an hour remove from the oven and remove from the paper. Fill with the cream and top with fruit.