Vegan Sausage Casserole
- 675g potatoes – peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion – peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 cooking apple – cubed
- 450g carrots – peeled and sliced
- 1 packet vegan sausages (e.g vegan Quorn or Fry’s)
- 275g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and pepper
- Put potatoes in a pan full of water and boil for 5 minutes. They need to be still quite firm. Keep to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, stock, tomato puree salt and pepper. Turn down the heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, sausages, apple and carrots , cover with a pan lid and simmer gently for a further 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as it is, or with crusty bread.