Boozy vegan ice-cream
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 900ml soya milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 50g margarine
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g tinned or glacé cherries in syrup
- 50g whole mixed peel, chopped
- 50g raisins or sultanas
- 4 tbsp rum or brandy
- 25g flaked almonds
- Put cornflour into a bowl and blend in to a paste with a little of the milk.
- Put the rest of the milk into a saucepan with the vanilla, sugar, margarine and chocolate. Heat gently to boiling point, then pour it over the paste and mix until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring it to the boil, stirring. Remove from heat, cover and leave until cool.
- Remove the vanilla pod, wash and dry it (it can be used many times). Liquidise the mixture in a food processor then pour it into container and freeze until it begins to solidify around the edges. Whisk and return to the freezer.
- Repeat this process, this time whisking in the fruits, rum or brandy, and almonds. Return it to freezer and leave until solid.
- Before serving, allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature.