Black bean & quinoa burgers (makes four – six burgers)
– 2 cans of black beans
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp chilli flakes
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 100g cooked quinoa
– Plain flour
– 2 tbsp flaxseed or chia seed (milled)
– Salt and pepper
1) Drain and rinse the black beans.
2) Mix the flaxseed or chia seeds with 3 tbsp of water in a bowl and set aside
3) Add the black beans, garlic powder, onion powder, chilli flakes, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper to a food processor and blend. If you don’t have a food processor, you can mash them with a potato masher.
4) Add the quinoa and flax or chia seeds and blend (or mash and mix) again.
5) Form the mixture into patties, adding a little plain flour if the mixture is too sticky.
6) Fry the patties for a few minutes on each side in a bit of oil until they are browned.
1) Serve in a burger bun with your choice of salad or condiments
2) Add mushrooms to the burger mixture for a more ‘meaty’ texture.
3) Top with vegan cheese
4) Serve with sweet potato chips or wedges.