Japanese Noodles with Portabello Mushrooms and Teriyaki Glaze
- 500g egg-free noodles (such as rice noodles or Blue Dragon wholewheat noodles)
- 250g smoked tofu – cut into small cubes
- Bunch spring onions – chopped
- 500g portobello mushrooms – chopped roughly
- 1 red pepper – de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- 6 tbsp dry sherry
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- IMake the glaze by putting the sherry, soy sauce, water and sugar in a pan and cook on a high heat. Turn down the heat once the glaze is hot and stir constantly until thick – about 10 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to one side.
- Fry the mushrooms and garlic in the sesame oil over a high heat in a wok or large saucepan, stirring all the time. When it starts to sizzle, and the water from the mushrooms starts to evaporate, add the red pepper and cook through, then throw in the spring onions and tofu. Allow to warm through. Turn off heat and put lid on pan to keep mixture warm while cooking the noodles.
- Cook the noodles as directed, then stir them into the mushroom mixture along with the teriyaki glaze. Serve straight away.