Two-Tone Celebration Ring
- Two packets of 10 sheets of ready-to-use filo pastry
For filling one
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled and crushed
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 175g cous cous, pre-soaked in hot water as directed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- salt and pepper
For filling two
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 750g mushrooms – chopped
- 175g walnuts – chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- A little oil to brush pastry
- Sesame seeds
- Make filling one by gently frying the onion and garlic in the oil until soft and going transparent. Add the tomatoes, bring to the boil then simmer for 3 mins. Stir in the other ingredients and continue to gently simmer, covered for 20 mins. Cool.
- To make filling two, stir-fry the mushrooms until starting to brown. Remove pan from heat and stir in the walnuts, pepper and soya sauce. Allow to cool.
- Lay one sheet of filo pastry on your work surface and brush with oil, then lay the next sheet down on top, but set 4-5 cm (1½ -2 inches) back from the first. Brush this second sheet of filo pastry with oil and repeat the process with 8 more sheets so that you end up with a length of about 20 cm (16 inches). Use any left-over filo pastry to strengthen the sides.
- Spread half of each of the two fillings side by side along the middle of the full 16 inch length of pastry, with a gap of about 1 inch separating the fillings. This allows room for the pastry to be rolled from each outside edge to the middle, covering the fillings and creating a double sausage roll effect.
- Repeat the whole process with the other packet of pastry and fillings. Carefully bend each length of filled pastry into a letter ‘C’ shape. Transfer onto an oiled baking dish. The two ‘C’ shapes now make a circle when placed together. If the pastry splits, simply cover with liberally greased pastry trimmings. Brush the ring with oil and sprinkle with some sesame seeds. Bake at 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7 for 20-30 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes then transfer onto a platter and garnish the ends with watercress, cress, or lollo rosso lettuce.
Recipe by Roselyne Masselin Vegetarian Services, PO Box 70, Bushey Hall Drive, Bushey WD2 2NQ.