- 2 aubergines
- 1 large onion – peeled and chopped
- 3/4 tbsp tomato purée or 1 fresh tomato
- 1 tsp fresh ginger root – finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove – peeled and minced
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander (leaves from 3 small bunches)
- Lightly coat the aubergines with vegetable oil. Place them under a grill and cook until tender (they can also be cooked over a charcoal barbeque grill).
- Remove and allow to cool. Peel away the outer skin and chop the flesh.
- Put the 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add chopped onion and stir until just golden brown. Add ginger and garlic and stir for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add tomato purée or chopped tomato and mix.
- Add the chopped aubergine and keep stirring, then add the spices – turmeric, salt, chilli, coriander powder and cumin. Keep stirring on low heat until cooked.
- Serve with cooked rice, granished with fresh coriander leaves.