Vegan ‘Fish’ and Chips
For the Tofish
– 1 cup of white wine
– 1 tsp pink/sea salt
– 1 tbsp vegan fish sauce or soy sauce
– 2 tbsp lemon juice
2) Cut the tofu into 4 triangles and coat in the marinade. Leave to soak up the flavours for at least one hour or overnight.
For the Batter
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 100g wholemeal flour (plus extra to coat the tofu)
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 1/2 tsp pink/sea salt
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 200ml sparkling water
– Vegetable oil (please take care when deep fat frying)
1) Lay a nori sheet on a chopping board and a triangle of tofu on top.
2) Using a sharp knife cut around the tofu so you have a layer of nori on one side of the tofu. This is a bit like fish skin and gives a seafood taste. Do this to all four triangles then set aside.
7) After 3 minutes turn the tofish over and cook the other side. The batter should be golden and crisp. If it doesn’t look like the video you can cook for a bit longer.
9) Serve immediately with chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce. Enjoy!