Vegan ‘Fish’ and Chips (serves 4)
For the Tofish
– 1 cup of white wine
– 1 tsp pink/sea salt
– 1 tbsp vegan fish sauce or soy sauce
– 2 tbsp lemon juice
1) Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and set to one side.
2) Cut the tofu into 4 triangles and coat in the marinade. Leave to soak up the flavours for at least one hour or overnight.
For the Batter
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 100g wholemeal flour (plus extra to coat the tofu)
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 1/2 tsp pink/sea salt
– 1 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 200ml sparkling water
– Vegetable oil (please take care when deep fat frying)
1) Lay a nori sheet on a chopping board and a triangle of tofu on top.
2) Using a sharp knife cut around the tofu so you have a layer of nori on one side of the tofu. This is a bit like fish skin and gives a seafood taste. Do this to all four triangles then set aside.
6) Gently pick up a piece of tofish (keeping the nori on top) and coat in the batter. Lay the tofish into the oil and repeat with the other portions.
7) After 3 minutes turn the tofish over and cook the other side. The batter should be golden and crisp. If it doesn’t look like the video you can cook for a bit longer.
8) Gently (using tongs) remove each piece from the pan and let the excess oil drain off. Place on kitchen towel to soak up any more oil.
9) Serve immediately with chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce. Enjoy!