- 350g macaroni or penne
- 100g of melting dairy-free cheese (e.g. Vegusto No-Moo Melty) – chopped up
- 3 onions – finely chopped
- 500ml unsweetened soya milk
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rounded tbsp wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 lemon – finely scraped zest from outer skin and juice
- 2 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (available from health food shops)
- 1 tsp flaked chilli
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 packet meat-free bacon (e.g. VBites Tempeh Rashers) – chopped up (optional)
- 1 handful freshly chopped parsley – optional
- Gently fry the onions in the oil for approx 10 mins. Stir the flour into the onions and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Add the soya milk slowly, stirring constantly, until it starts to thicken.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the fresh parsley) and stir on low heat until the dairy-free cheese melts into the mixture.
- Cook the pasta in large pan. Drain and stir the pasta into the cheese mixture.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.