- 300ml plant milk – unsweetened
- 200g macaroni pasta
- 1 large red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- ½ lemon – zest & juice
- 1 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp olive oil 2 strips of vegan bacon – cut into strips
- Sea/pink salt and pepper to season
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 50g grated vegan cheese (plus more to go on top)
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/392ºF
- Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic and set to one side.
- Use cooking instructions and boil the pasta. (If baking in the oven cook for 1-2 minutes less as it will continue cooking in the oven).
- Add the oil to a seperate pan and on a medium heat fry the onion for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, heat for a couple more minutes until slightly browned.
- Stir in the flour then pour in the milk. Bring to a simmer, add the mustard, continue stirring until it starts to bubble and thicken.
- Now add the salt, pepper, herbs, chilli and nutritional yeast. Mix together then add the zest and juice of the lemon. If you find the sauce is too thick add a dash more milk.
- Add the grated cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Add the bacon and stir in.
- When your pasta is ready drain off any water and add the pasta to the cheese sauce. Stir thoroughly so all the macaroni is covered in sauce.
- Serve intimately or transfer to an oven dish, top with grated cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
TIP: This is great served with vegan garlic bread or fresh vegetables. You can slo make a large batch of this and freeze in smaller portions.
This recipe and video was kindly made by Aaron Calder. Check out his social media channels for more mouthwatering vegan recipes!