- 6 globe artichokes (or use tinned version)
- 3 large tomatoes
- ½ green pepper – deseeded
- 12 black olives
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1-2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- a large handful of fresh parsley or watercress for garnish
- If using fresh artichokes, wash under running water, then remove the outer leaves and chop off the stems. Cook in a pan for 30 minutes, or until a leaf comes out easily when pulled.
- Stand the artichokes upside down to drain them while cooling. Then remove the leaves and chokes.
- Cut the remaining artichoke hearts into quarters and place in a bowl. Chop the tomatoes and thinly slice the pepper. Add these to the artichokes, then gently stir in olives and capers.
- Mix the remaining ingredients (except garnish) thoroughly in a separate bowl, then pour this dressing over the artichoke mixture.
- Toss lightly and chill before serving with garnish.