- 15ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion – peeled and finely chopped
- 175g mixed vegetables (eg. celery, peppers, sweet potato) – diced
- 225g tin red kidney beans
- 1 garlic clove – peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 275g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 50g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp / 15ml chopped fresh basil/parsley (or 1½ tbsp if dried)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and gently fry the onion and vegetables until softened.
- Add beans, garlic and spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato purée, stock and bulgar wheat. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the soy sauce and basil.
- Serve with rice or nachos.