Lentil dhal (serves four)
– 300g red lentils
– 1 onion (diced)
– 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
– 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
– 2 tsp garam masala
– 2 tsp cumin
– 2 tsp turmeric
-1 can of chopped tomatoes
– 1 can of coconut milk
– 500ml vegetable stock
1) On a high heat, fry the onion, garlic and ginger in a little oil until the onion starts to brown.
2) Add the garam masala, cumin and turmeric and cook for a minute or two, stirring frequently.
3) Add the lentils, stock, tomatoes and coconut milk.
4) Reduce to a medium heat and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Keep on the heat until the dhal is thick.
1) Serve with rice.
2) Serve with chapattis and vegan naan.
3) Add a handful of spinach or kale to the dhal a few minutes before serving.