Ginger Sponge Pudding
- 225 g self-raising flour (white and wholemeal both work)
- 115 g brown sugar
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- a thumb-sized chunk of ginger – peeled and grated (or use a heaped tbsp ground ginger)
- 250ml water
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp golden or maple syrup
- Grab a big microwave-proof bowl (pyrex is perfect) and sift the dry ingredients into it.
- Stir in the water and oil and mix well.
- Drop the syrup into the bowl, and ease it down to the bottom with your spoon.
- Stretch cling film over the bowl and pierce a hole in the top. Microwave on full power for 7-8 mins, then leave to stand for another 2 mins.
- Serve with vegan custard or dairy-free cream.
Makes a great alternative to traditional Christmas Pud.